Duck by Devious Machines is a side chain processing tool that should be in every mix engineer or producers arsenal. It's one of those tools I never knew I needed and then when I started using it I was amazed it hadn't been a standard piece of kit for years. I mean we have all used side chain compression using a compressor in our DAW or something like Trackspacer which is a different tool but very similar. But Duck really does take ducking and pumping to the next level and it's only £20 RRP.
Ok so let's talk about Duck. It is essential an LFO that controls volume based on the shape you draw in or select. But believe me it's not a one trick pony. You can select to trigger Duck using side chain or midi as well which is an excellent feature. There are a number of additional features to help control the way Duck works.
Amount controls the amount of ducking or pumping effect.
Smoothing smooths the edges of the waveform creating a rounder shape.vv
Crossover / Low / High allows you to process the high and low frequencies of your music separately.
Why You Need Duck
- Instant sidechain pumping as soon as you load the plugin
- Cleaner, louder and more exciting mixes
- Choose from 8 preset curves or 58 creative and useful Duck patches
- Draw your own curves and rhythms to use now, or save them later
- Set the overall pump, or apply to low and high bands with adjustable crossover
- Run Duck in Repeat mode, or use sidechained audio or MIDI signals to trigger
- Smoothing control to remove clicks: including super-accurate pre-smoothing algorithm when in LFO mode
- Run on individual tracks, groups or your master bus for different pump effects
- Low CPU usage means you can run Duck on loads of tracks
- Mac and Windows: VST/AU/AAX plugin