The coronavirus situation is getting serious here in the UK. It really hit me last week walking through London at rush hour and seeing only a handful of people around. I have never known anything like this in my lifetime. A scary situation is looming in the UK. The government have just announced that the schools will close as of Friday and the inevitable is about to happen. Country wide lock down or quarantine.
I will personally assess the situation with regards to getting from home to the studio each day. I can do the journey without interacting with anyone. So as long as I am not physically stopped on the street by police or armed forces I will still get to and from work. The alternative is that I will go into lock down at the studio. This way I can still work and business will continue as normal. Either way we will ensure we are working from the studio every day. Which our clients will be pleased to know. So rest assured there will be no change our end preventing us from achieving the same great mixing and mastering results we always provide.
Now quickly before we start the list let me just say one thing. To all the people worrying they will be bored. Unless your internet is cut off and you have to start playing board games, how can you truly ever get bored. You have the internet, the world is at your fingertips.
So here goes, 5 things to do if you have a home studio and you find yourself in lock down for 2 weeks or more. Let's assume you aren't going to just produce music for 2 weeks. Or you spend the first 3 days producing music and it just isn't happening.
1. Sampling. There are hundreds of objects around your house that can be hit with a drum stick and recorded to make a unique sound. While you are confined to your home environment why not work on a project that is fun, interesting and overall different to what you would normally do.
2. Record the news. This is a once in a lifetime situation we are in. Record the dialogue from the news and use it in a track. Hell, call it Covid-19 or coronavirus. Create a song over the 2 weeks from your own experience and emotions. Try and really portray what is going on in the track.
3. Rewire your studio. Let's face it you have time on your hands. Pull your racks out, hoover back there then put it all back in nice and tidy. Be honest when was the last time the backs of your racks saw a hoover.
4. Create a VST preset pack. These packs, especially Serum packs sell really well. They are easy to make and you can sell them if you want or keep them for your own future production.
5. Content creator. There are two kinds of people on the internet. Those who consume content and those who provide content. Every minute I am not busy working I am writing news articles or creating content to post online. I do this so I can contribute to our community and help other engineers and producers obtain a better sound. Why not over the 2 weeks in quarantine start writing news articles on a subject you know a lot on. Then post it online for the world to read. Start a blog or a youtube channel.
So there we have 5 things to do in your studio if we do get locked down or quarantined. From us all here at Audio Animals we wish everyone good health through this difficult time where ever in the world you may be. Stay safe stay healthy and stay clear of the coronavirus.