In this video I review how the Solid State Logic The Bus + and Fusion complement each other. Adding The Bus Plus to the Fusion via the insert point allows us to insert the compressor post and pre EQ.
SSL The Bus + Features
- Vintage Drive - is a unique non-linear harmonic enhancement circuit that brings cohesion and strength to your mix. Drive and Density controls interact to produce harmonic saturation and soft compression derived from overloading an analogue circuit. It can be used lightly for subtle thickening saturation or driven hard for more extreme distortion.
- The SSL Violet EQ - an all-new minimum phase-shift, two-band shelving EQ. The first new SSL analogue EQ circuit for more than 25 years draws on the SSL legacy of carefully selected frequencies and response curves to create a musical and intuitive EQ designed to quickly dial in low-end weight and high-end sheen. High and Low frequency circuits each offer four switched frequency points and +/-9dB attenuation.
- A new High Frequency Compressor delivers the distinctive sound of high frequency rounding in the analogue domain. A compressor that effects high frequencies only, optimised for smooth and transparent harshness reduction and a tape-like high- frequency roll off – great for taming brittle high frequency fizz.
- A new Stereo Image enhancer provides a true analogue Mid-Side circuit that manipulates the Side signal, allowing for widening and spatial manipulation of the stereo field.
- A switched, custom-designed SSL Transformer circuit introduces subtle low-frequency saturation, alongside a high-frequency phase-shift. The result is a simultaneous thickening of the low-end and an added sparkle to the high-end.
SSL Fusion Features
- The ultimate, most versatile incarnation of the Bus Compressor ever
- Authentic SSL Bus Compressor circuit utilising high-performance 2181 THAT VCAs.
- 4 modes of operation - Classic Stereo, S/C Stereo, Dual Mono or Mid-Side.
- New Attack and Release time constant options - more flexibility to shape the Bus Compressor, including the new 'Auto 2' setting.
- 3 distinct compression colouration options, which can be combined or used individually:
- 4K Mode - single VCA operation with variable harmonic distortion to bring some 'grit' and 'grunge' to the mix.
- LOW THD Mode reduces low-frequency distortion caused by compression, cleaning up the bottom-end.
- F/B Mode alters the compression characteristics for a more 'relaxed' style of compression.
- Outstanding sonic performance and stepped pots designed for mastering and precision processing applications.
- Built-in 2-band Dynamic EQ (D-EQ).
- Transient Expander.
- Configurable processing order - Bus Compressor pre D-EQ (default) or post.
- External side-chain inputs and sends.
- Variable side-chain High-Pass Filter control up to 300 Hz in 10 Hz steps.
- Mix control for instant parallel compression.